The Museum of Furniture and Wooden Sculptures is an integral part of the Museum of Decorative Arts. Focused on artworks made of wood, therefore with specific conservation needs, this museum is the result of various donations, bequests, and the purchase, in 1908, of the Mora collection. The Mora were a family of cabinetmakers from Bergamo, who for a period owned and run a famous shop in Via Solferino, in Milan. During the 20th century the core of the collection expanded thanks to the legacies of families such as the Durini, the Andreani, the Boschi and the arrival of furnishings from the Savoy residences, including Palazzo Reale and the Villas in Monza and Milan, left to Italian state and earmarked for the civic collections. After being initially mounted according to chronological criteria on a catalogue-oriented vision, in 2004 the museum was restored and re-organized to expand it and include contemporary design and update it, according to Milan continuous evolution in the field of furniture production.
The Museum of Furniture and Wooden Sculptures is located on the first floor of the Ducal Courtyard and can be reached by the staircase next to the exit of the Museum of Ancient Art. The path of Museo per tutti guide is centred on two artworks along the path of wooden sculptures, a wide and well-lit space, without any risk of overcrowding and sensory overload. The two artworks, chosen because of their characteristics and uniqueness, can catch the attention and favour concentration of persons with intellectual disabilities.