Located inside the achitectural complex designed by Filippo Brunelleschi in the early Renaissance, the museum is the part of the Institute of Innocenti dedicated to the conservation of the artistic heritage. The Institute was founded in 1445 and until now has been taking care of chidren right. In ancient time this place was the hospital that hosted abandoned children: here they grew, received an education and then started working. Because of the importance of its activity, the institute received over time many donations and artworks too. Nowadays the institute exhibits its public collection, that has been structured in three paths: the historical, the architectural and the artistic ones.
The visit at the Museum of Innocenti is a path that has been split on different floors. Centred on children, family and maternity, its focuses on the theme of hospitality. The artworks that the visitor can see belong to the artistic path and are ancient religious paintings and sculptures.
Recently the set-up of the museum has been renewed, providing the utmost care as for space and light. The path starts at the underground level and continues on the 4th floor – reachable by staircase or lift.